After 19-year-old Alex Morris suffered cardiac arrhythmia and cardiomyopathy, which led to his death, a toxicology report found that no illegal drugs or alcohol were involved. In fact, the only thing Alex had consumed in excess was Monster Energy Drinks, having had two 16 oz. beverages in the 24 hours preceding his death – something he has done regularly for a number of years. Alex’s family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Monster Energy Drinks on grounds similar to one filed last year involving the death of a 14-year-old girl.
There is mounting evidence that energy drinks are harmful or even deadly to teenagers, yet the companies that manufacture them still aggressively target teens and adolescents. This despite the fact that groups including the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Heart Association, and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration have all reported on the dangers of teenage consumption of energy drinks. The Food and Drug Administration has even reported that, in a three year period, energy drinks can be conclusively linked to at least five teen deaths.
If you have lost a loved one due to corporate negligence, please contact a wrongful death attorney in your area today to schedule an initial case evaluation.